Sunday, April 15, 2012

Dave the Bastard's Blues Camp

Every time the Blues Camp was on I had something else on that weekend I had to go to, but finally it was Labour Day long weekend coming up and I was free.

Friday lunch time I packed the car and headed out past Geelong and up the Midland Highway armed with Dave the Bastard's map.

Normally I just get away with having a quick glance at a map, head off leaving it at home, as I never need to refer to it again, but this time I was glad I had brought it. Once I turned off the highway at Meredith I had to pay attention to every detail and towards the end when the signs didn't match it was a hunch that got me there.

The Hunts Bridge camp site was quite a surprise after coming down from the dry arid plains
[Photograph: Hetha]
WOW! This was amazing. I had been worried that out here the camp would be exposed, dry and blowy, but the camp at Hunts Bridge was like an oasis in the bottom of the gorge after the hot dry plains approaching it above.

Mr President - call this meeting to order!!
[Photograph: Dave the Bastard]
I found a good shaded spot by the river which to my amazement despite the drought still had a good flow of water and a good swimming hole.

Ogbear relishing a pool in a running stream in the middle of the drought
[Photograph: Dave the Bastard]
Others from the Blues Club were already there and setup, including Dave the Bastard, Daryl and Wendy, Jo and Deb amongst others.

There were several other groups camped around the reserve, most cool, except for the 'Moe' camp immediately behind us.

Kenny to the rescue? Ogbear is only in ½ metre of water!
[Photograph: Dave the Bastard]
Once I had settled in I cooked my tea and joined the atmosphere around the campfire, the first one as the fire season had finished.
Finally off for a good night's sleep.

Saturday morning was nice and warm, and a swim after breakfast was in order.

Kenny and Sally arrived parking their van on the ant's nest that everyone else had avoided. Sometimes there is a reason that an area is not taken.

Joylene, Kelvin and Robyn arrived as well as Kelvin and Deb which lead to much 'RobKel' and 'DebKel'ing to distinguish between the two.

Suzie went home early, but the numbers were made up with the arrival of others including Hetha and Susannah.

Dave said this was one of the biggest turnouts for a Blues Club camp despite (?) the fact that the Rubans had gone to the Port Fairy Folk Festival.

A hot day in the shade, 'Dave the Bastard' serenades the campers
[Photograph: Hetha]
The facilities setup by Dayrl on Thursday were pretty basic and, with the size of the gathering, well used.

Kenny (Stringybark) master chef is satisfied the the meal is ready to be served
[Photograph: Dave the Bastard]
Kenny (Stringybark) master chef of the community dinner
[Photograph: Dave the Bastard]
I had come well prepared and made my dinner early and joined the other campers again. This turned out to be a mistake because I didn't know that the camp is really a community affair. Joe had brought a lamb casserole and Joylene a beautiful piece of ling which in Kenny's hands became the basis of an asian style hot soup that everyone else contributed veges and spices too. I made space for a bowl of it. Fabulous!

This is possibly the worst photo of Ogbear ever taken. Sorry Hetha
[Photograph: Hetha]
The fire was converted from a cooking one back to a revellers one and the all were gathered around it for good humour and a big jam especially from Dave and Kenny.

A few novices got completely plastered and and had a bit of trouble keeping up with the regulars who went right into the night.

Camp revellers and jammers
[Photograph: Hetha]

This is what camping is all about
[Photograph: Hetha]
After Sunday lunch it was time to go home for many of us. A few others staying another night were disappointed about this but I was pretty tired and glad to get home to a good sleep and have a lazy recovery day on the holiday Monday.

[Og Bear]

No comments:

Post a Comment